DATE: July 13, 2016 - July 16, 2016
TIME: All Day
Add to: iCal | Google Calendar
Romance Writers of America
San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina
333 W Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101
Creating Transformative Characters
Friday, July 15
3:15 – 5:15 p.m.
At the center of every great story – and certainly every great romance – is a unique and empathetic protagonist. But essential to this character are the primary characters that surround her. Not only will they support or block the pursuit of her love interest and have emotionally involving goals and conflicts of their own, they are essential to her transformation from living in fear to living courageously.
Principles covered will include:
- The 8 essential character types
- Creating 3-dimensional heroes
- Making the love interest your heroine’s destiny
- Opponents: nemesis, villain, rival or false hero?
- Sidekicks: reflections, protectors and mentors
- Inner conflict: wound, belief, fear, identity and essence
- Revealing your heroine’s arc through other characters
- Revealing character through action, description and dialogue
Love Story Closeup: HITCH
Saturday, July 16
9:45 – 11:45 a.m.
Love stories not only give you the opportunity to captivate and move your readers, they offer you the most powerful tool available for developing character arc and theme. Using the blockbuster romantic comedy HITCH as an example, Michael will illustrate the principles of plot structure, character arc, love stories, romantic comedies and theme. By showing selected clips from the film, he will reveal his unique approach to uniting a heroine’s inner and outer journeys to maximize your readers’ emotional involvement – and your novel’s commercial success.